Our thoughts are with all of those who have been affected by the terrible tragedy at Grenfell Tower in West London.
Local Space wants to reassure our tenants that it has and will continue to take measures to ensure the safety of our blocks. We have just recently completed fire risk assessments for all communal areas in blocks which we own. All such inspections were carried out by independent and qualified health and safety inspectors. There is nothing in these assessments to suggest there are any issues with either the structure or the fixtures and fittings in any of the blocks.
We want to reassure you that your safety is our priority and outline the measures we take to keep our tenants safe:-
- Carrying out independent fire risk assessments of our blocks on an annual basis;
- Ensuring any urgent works identified on the fire risk inspection report are carried out immediately;
- Ensure that any recommendations which are minor in nature are carried out within the next six months of the inspection;
- Regularly inspect communal areas on estate inspections;
- All our properties have smoke alarms and these are checked annual as part of the gas safety check.
Local Space is doing all it can to keep you safe and you can help by following this advice:-
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm in your home;
- If your smoke alarm is not working and is battery operated you may need to replace the batteries. (N.B. Local Space does replace batteries annually on inspections).
- Keep all corridors and stairways free from clutter as this is a fire hazard.
- Do not leave rubbish, furniture or bikes in communal areas or obstruct escape routes.
- Make sure you know where your nearest fire exit is.
- If you are a smoker, please do not smoke in communal areas of the block and ensure cigarettes are fully extinguished in the home.
If you believe there is a fault on your fire alarm or wish to report any potential fire hazards please contact our main switchboard on Tel No. 020 8221 4000.
Further fire safety advice from the London Fire Brigade can be found here http://www.london-fire.gov.uk/FireSafety.asp