Report Repair

Report A Repair

As your landlord, by law we have to carry out certain repairs. But tenants are responsible for other repairs. It’s a partnership, and to make sure your property stays in good condition we have to work together.

To find out more about how Axis and Local Space are keeping you safe during the coronavirus, please read this

What to do if you’re a London Borough of Newham tenant

If you’re a London Borough of Newham tenant and you want to report a repair during the day or out of hours (that’s not gas related), please contact the Council’s Repair Operation Centre (ROC):

  • If you’re worried because you smell gas, call National Grid immediately on 0800 111 999
  • If your heating has stopped working or you have no hot water, please call K&T Heating on 0800 193 0477 or Local Space on 020 8221 4000 where your call will be re-directed.

What to do if you’re a Local Space tenant

During office hours (9am to 5pm)

Please note that our repairs partner, Axis Europe, are now handling our repair calls directly. When you press Option 4 you’ll be put straight through to them. Their team will arrange for your repair request to be dealt with.

You can also report a repair via My Account. This is an online service which is available 24/7.

Your repair will be given a priority where we will carry out repairs within the following timescales:

  • Emergency – completed with 24 hours
  • Urgent – completed within 7 days
  • Routine: completed within 31 days

For out of hours emergency repairs (5pm to 9am on weekdays, or at weekends):

  • If people or your home are in danger please call Local Space on 020 8221 4000 where your call will be re-directed.
  • If you’re worried because you smell gas, call National Grid immediately on 0800 111 999.
  • If your heating has stopped working or you have no hot water please call K&T Heating on 0800 193 0477 or Local Space on 020 8221 4000 where your call will be re-directed.

How we arrange for repairs to be done

We know that you can’t always be at home when we need to carry out a repair, and some people ask a friend or family member to be there for them. This is fine, as long as they are aged 16 or over.

Our Repairs Inspectors and Contractors always carry an ID card, to show exactly who they are and that they are working with us. You should always ask to see this before letting them into your home.

If you have any doubt please call us on 020 8221 4000 or e-mail:


  • We carry out morning and afternoon appointments (9am-1pm and 12noon-5pm)
  • If you’ve booked an appointment, please do your best to keep it
  • If you can’t make an appointment, please let us know as soon as possible
  • If you don’t let us know and we come round, you may still be charged

Call us 020 8221 4000, or email if you have any questions.

What repairs could I be charged for?

  • In some circumstances, you could be charged for repairs that are normally our responsibility. This can happen when someone – either yourself, the people you live with or your visitors – damage, neglect or misuse your home. These are often called rechargeable repairs or rechargeable works. If the damage has been done accidentally, we’ll come and look at what needs to be done and we’ll give you an estimate before doing the work, so you know what to expect. If the damage needs to be repaired straight away because it’s an emergency, we’ll do the work anyway but we may charge you afterwards. If the damage has been done by a criminal, through vandalism or a break-in, you must report it to the police. We need a copy of the police crime reference number. If you don’t get this you could be charged for the cost of the repair. What happens when work is done to your home:
    • You will know how much it will cost before the work is carried out
    • You’ll be asked to pay once the job has been finished
    • The contractor will ask you to sign a copy of a form which outlines the work done and the cost
    • Afterwards you will be sent an invoice to pay
    • You must never hand money over to anyone there and then
    • Charges will include administration costs
    • If you have contents’ insurance you may be able to claim money back from your insurance company. You’ll need to check if you’re covered

What repairs am I responsible for?

  • If you’re a tenant, you’re responsible for:
    • Keeping your property clean and well decorated
    • Letting us in so we can do our inspection and safety check every year (we need to do this by law)
    • Reporting criminal damage or vandalism to the police (and getting a police crime report number)
    • Taking steps to make sure doesn’t condensation builds up and cause a problem
    • Doing what you can to stop more damage happening once a repair is needed
    • Repairing or replacing minor things, sometimes called fixtures, (such as toilet seats, bath plugs, shower hose and head, changing batteries in smoke alarms
    • Replacing broken or cracked glass
    • Resetting trip switches and replacing light bulbs and tubes
    • Trying to clear blocked pipes, gullies or toilets
    • Cleaning out shower-heads
    • If you’re asked, to move your things out the way before any major work is done on your home
    • Repairing anything you’ve installed, this includes things like shelves or radiator coverings
    • Replacing lost or replacement keys
    • Tightening and adjusting hinges and catches on doors and cupboards
    • Repairing minor cracks or holes in walls and ceilings

What repairs are Local Space responsible for?

  • We are responsible for structural repairs to your home, for repairs to essential supplies (such as water, gas, electricity) or any repairs where there could be a health and safety risk (such as paving, carpets and other things that can trip people up). However, if the damage has been caused by you, your family or someone visiting your home, you could be charged for the repair, even if it’s normally our responsibility. The things we are responsible for include:
    • Repairing and maintaining the structure of the property (that’s the chimney, roof, walls, floors and stairs)
    • Carrying out gas safety checks at least once a year for every home which has a gas supply
    • Looking after external parts to the property (such as roofs, gutters and paving)
    • Repairing and replacing internal fixtures, which are things like the bath, sinks and kitchen units
    • All pipes, wiring and fixtures and fittings for heating, power and lighting, drainage and mains operated smoke detectors, skirting, worktops and floor tiles
    • The shared areas in flats or maisonettes
    • Looking after the shared gardens and open areas around our homes
    • Fences and walls
    • Steps and main paths that lead to the front or back doors (but not garden paths or patios)
    • Brick outhouses
    • Door entry systems, lifts, shared stairways and shared TV aerials
  • No products in the cart.